Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Been a long time coming

It sure has been a long time coming - six months in fact.  So it's about time I finally got around to posting something.  Wow, so many things have happened during my blog "sabbatical" time that it's difficult to know just where to begin. 

Perhaps a stitch update would be in order.  I have managed to finish these charity squares for Q4OC.  First is the Evil Queen from Snow White square I finished in March for a Disney Villain Quilt requested.  Second is a heart square using DMC variegated thread that I finished in April.

Next is the Brittercup Spring Motif square I finished in June.  This piece had to be stitched in all darker colors since the quilt recipient has problems with bright colors.  Finally, the last charity square I stitched was this Sue Hillis 2009 freebie heart design I finished in June.  I used a JP Coats color 513 thread I had in my stash.  Have no idea if this color is even still sold, but I loved the variations of lavenders, blues, greens & cream in it.

I also managed to finish a couple of stitching projects for my grandgirl in June.  This piece is a small project she asked me to stitch for her.  Yes, she loves flip flops.  lol  I also finished a Santa ornament that I didn't get a photo taken of yet.



I attended a weekend camp retreat for women cancer patients sponsored by MD Anderson in April and it was beyond wonderful.  I am 4th from the left in the back row in this group photo. 


I met some awesome ladies and participated in some great activities.  It was a weekend I'll always treasure and I had loads of fun.

One of the activities was a rope challenge. Even though I'm afraid of heights, I decided this was a challenge I was going to complete and I'm proud to say - I DID IT!!!  These photos show my progress.  First - my climb up and next after I completed walking across the first section and getting ready to do a short zipline crossing.



 
 
 
Here's me on the short zipline.  Next, I'm crossing the board section.  

Now I'm crossing the section of wood slats.  And now for an easy section.

 
The last section was really easy - going across a piece of canvas.  And then the fun part - going down the zipline.  What an awesome experience! 
 
 
 
The weekend after the camp retreat was the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life.  I was fortunate enough to help carry the banner on the first lap.  Words cannot express the emotional impact it had on me carrying that banner and hearing all the cheering and applause from the spectators along the route. 
 
 
This has been a very photo heavy post, so I'll close for now.  I'll be posting again in the next couple of days to fill you in on the rest on my blog "sabbatical" time.  lol
 
Thanks for reading and I do enjoy all comments.
 
Many Hugs,
Barb

6 comments:

Annie said...

Nice to see a post from you. Lots of pretty stitching and congrats on doing that challenge. Looks like a wonderful retreat!

Christina said...

Great to see you posted to your blog. Nice stitching. Congrats on completing the challenge and getting to carry the banner.


Christina from the SMO boad.

RhondaWoman71 said...

WOW you did a lot on the retreat.
love the snow white evil queen. where did u get the pattern

DUSTY said...

WOW, it looks like you had a wonderful time.

glenda said...

Holy cow, girlfriend! You got a lot of finishes done. Your stitching is lovely, like always :)

I am very proud of you facing your fear of heights. Yay, you!!

Meari said...

Those are some adorable finishes!!

Oh my! You are one brave lady. I'm afraid of heights, too. I don't know that I'd have been able to do that rope challenge.