Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's been quite awhile since I've posted, because I've been quite sick since September.  I went through a month & a half of vomiting & diarrhea nearly every day.  My doctor did blood tests & took a stool sample, but could find no bacteria causing it.  She gave me meds for nausea & the stomach cramps, which didn't help me.  On Nov 2nd, I finally called my DS & DDIL to take me to the hospital emergency room when I could no longer even keep water down.  Had a cat-scan & x-rays, which showed a blockage in my abdomen.  A colonoscopy was done the next day & surgery the following day.  I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer.  The malignant tumor went through my colon & had attached itself to my right hip.  The right half of my colon & part of my intestines were removed.  A great deal of tissue was also removed from my hip, but the surgeon wasn't sure all the malignancy was removed (since she couldn't remove all the tissue without damaging the blood vessels and nerves to my limbs).  So I will have to have chemotherapy.


Needless to say, I have a new doctor and have written a complaint to the clinic about the previous one.  Still cannot believe she allowed me to suffer for so long without putting me in the hospital.  I even asked her about being hospitalized and she said she was trying to avoid that.  It really irked me when she told me she could hardly stand going through a weekend of vomiting & didn't know I was managing.  I certainly learned I will NEVER again allow a doctor to allow me to go through so much suffering without doing everything possible to find out the cause!!!


I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and then stayed with my DS & DDIL for the next 2 weeks.  I'm back at home now & getting stronger every day.  Still rely on my cane to make sure I don't lose my balance & fall since I sometimes feel a little wobbly.  And I am not allowed to lift over 5 pounds yet.  I can drive again - yippee.  See the surgeon again in 2 weeks (probably for the last visit). 


Next Monday, I see the oncologist at MD Anderson and get ready for the chemo treatments.  Fortunately, this cancer research hospital is near me (Houston) and is one of the best.  People come from all over the country to get treatment.  


I have a positive attitude about all this and feel confident that the chemo will rid my body of any remaining malignancy.  I'm already a 41 year survivor from uterine cancer & I expect to add being a colon cancer survivor to that also.

I've finally started stitching again.  I'm working on "Joyful Summer" by Country Cottage Needleworks.  I chose this chart because it's so cheerful with such lovely thread colors and is good for keeping my positive attitude going.  I'll post a pic of my stitching when I'm further along.


That's all for now.  Thanks for visiting my blog.  I appreciate all my followers and any comments left for me.  Please have a great day and hope you come back again.


Hugs,
Barb

14 comments:

staci said...

Wow Barbara! You have been through a TERRIBLE ordeal! I know your strength and positive attitude will get you through your chemo treatments. And I will be sending you lots of prayers and good thoughts too.

Wishing you a joyful holiday season with your family {{hugs}}

nutmegg said...

Oh dear Barbara what a terrible thing to happen to you.......some Drs. need a good kick in the pants (or worse)....I'm sending lots of Aussie thoughts and prayers to you for a complete recovery.....have a wonderful Christmas and a happy and healthy new year....xo

Meari said...

Wow Barb! What an ordeal you've been through. Shame on your doctor for not figuring out what was wrong soon. You poor thing. Glad you're doing better now. Glad to hear you're able to drive and stitch again. :)

nima said...

sorry to read that you were going thru a tough time. glad to know that you are keeping up your positive attitude and carrying on with life....
looking forward to see your beautiful stitching

Shelley said...

it's wonderful to have you back in the blogging world. I hope the chemo and recovering are good to you.

mbroider said...

You have been through a lot, Barb..

I love your optimism in this tough time. Hats off to you...

Enjoy your stitching ang give us stitchy pics

Love
Sharmila

Annie said...

What an awful experience. That should just never have happened. Glad to see you posting again and sending good thoughts for your continued recovery.

CJ said...

Woohoo!! Barb it is so great to have you back in blogland. I am hap[py to hear you are recovering and in great spirits. I look forward to seeing more posts from you. Really happy to hear about MD Anderson, I understand they are the best in Texas for cancer treatment.

Happy Holidays!!

CJ

Mary said...

I have missed you and I am so sorry you are going through this. I will keep you in my thoughts. I look forward in seeing some pics soon.

Ranae said...

(((hugs))))
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a quick receovery
Take Care!!!

Connie B said...

Oh my goodness!!! I'm so sorry this happened to you! I wish you a quick recovery!

glenda said...

So glad you made your displeasure known. Good for you!!! Damn doctors, anyhow...ugh.

I'm here if you need me :)

Daffycat said...

Oh, Barbara! This is so scary...I've been wondering where you've been. It's good to know so we can pray for you now.

You take care of yourself and keep us updated from time to time. *hugs*

Terry said...

So glad that you were finally diagnosed correctly and have started getting all that you can to fight it!!

Keep us posted and know that you are getting lots of prayers!