Saturday, September 13, 2008

Birthday, Hurricane & Stitching

Today is my 61st birthday and it will be remembered as me getting through my first hurricane. Yep, Hurricane Ike came through, but I live inland enough that it wasn't too bad in my area. Our winds gusted at 51 mph, had approximately 3 - 5 inches of rain, and have lots of tree limbs all over the ground. Even my power didn't go out. Wow, I was very fortunate indeed, especially when I see all the devastation in Galveston & the other coastal towns. So I spent today putting all my plants and patio furniture back outside after sweeping up all the leaves & tree branches from my patio. Not exactly how I would have chosen to spend my birthday, but I'm certainly not complaining. I'm very grateful to have gotten through this hurricane with hardly any problems and I thank everyone for their kind words, thoughts & prayers for me during this time.

I did do some stitching last night and got caught up on my SanManville Hip to Be Square SAL. However, I may change a couple of the parts. My birthday twin, Barb called me today and she is thinking of changing the orange juice to an ort jar and the quince to a quilt. I like her ideas and told her I'll probably borrow them for my piece.

19 comments:

Debbie said...

Glad you made it thru the hurricane and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

shutterbug said...

Happy to hear you made it through ok Barb. :o) Hope you had a wonderful birthday despite the rude intrusion of Ike. Your SM piece is coming along nicely. :o)

Hugs, Elaine

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Glad you made it through the storm.

This is coming along so beautifully.

Sandy P said...

Happy to see you safe and your SM SAL looks great. Sandy P.

Irene said...

Glad to hear you are safe and Happy Birthday !!

elenamac said...

happy Birthday Barb!! Glad to read you're safe!!!
Great stitching!!

Love
elena in italy

CJ said...

Glad you are okay and I sure this will be a birthday to remember. Keep on stitching, it is good for the soul.

CJ

Sandra said...

Sure it was a weird birthday, but I'm happy and grateful you're safe. Your SAL is looking beautiful, I'll get back to mine today.

Daffycat said...

What a way to spend your birthday! I hope it was a happy one...many happy returns!

Your HTBS is looking so cute!

Vicky L said...

Happy Birthday!
So glad to hear you made it through the storm with miminum damage in your area. Your stitching looks great and I love the ideas too.

Christina said...

Happy Belated Birthday! You and my DH share the same brithday. Glad you are safe. Your SMO looks great.

Mylene said...

Happy Birthday Barb!! So glad to hear you are safe.
Your San Man SAL is looking beautiful.

Twana said...

So glad you made it through the storm okay! That's a very cute piece that you're working on. An ort jar would be really neat, can't imagine stitching the orts though.

Twana from the BoInk SAL

Old Yankee Stitcher said...

Love the SanManville Hip to be Square, I have never seen that one. So glad you could celebrate your birthday with no real harm to you and yours. CJ(ok;-)

Meari said...

I'm glad you made it through Ike. Happy Birthday (again)! Your SM piece looks so cute.

Annie said...

Glad to hear you weathered the storm so well. Your SAL piece is looking very good. Happy Birthday just a little late.

leechbabe said...

Barb, that is lovely stitching. Looks fantastic. Cheers
Marita

Cyndi said...

I also am doing the San Man SAL - though I did a, B, C, and D and then took a break. I need to catch up, too!

As a happy belated birthday gift and PIF, I'd like to send you the pattern "Cabin in the Woods" - you admired it on my blog after I finished it. If you want it, email me at cholmaneee at uia dot net and give me a snail mail address!

glenda said...

You are doing a great job on the SAL! Congrats on getting this far LOL.

I am sorry you had a hurricane birthday, but very relieved that it was as uneventful as it was!!