Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hurricane Rita

Hurricane Rita is over and all I can say is I am so very grateful it did not hit as predicted, which would have been my area (so my home was spared from any damage). My heart does go out to those who lost their homes and family members in this storm. There is simply no words to ease their grief. Only God can give them the comfort and strength they will need in the upcoming weeks and months of recovery. The worst part of it all for me was the horrendous evacuation from my home - spending 12 hours driving a 4 hour trip. It was no fun to be in a car with NO air conditioning for 24 hours before I was able to find a room. All the shelters were full and so were the motels. Finally, I was able to find a motel room for myself and my cat for 3 nights. The motel waived their normal policy of no pets so evacuees could stay there. 7 1/2 hours of my drive was going only 20 miles. It was a parking lot and at times I sat in one place for over a half hour. I kept my car from overheating by turning it off. I didn't have a/c anyway, so keeping it running served no purpose other than to chance overheating. The hundred degree temperature was miserable. I drank 5 bottles of water and 3 bottles of soda in the 12 hours. Also kept my cat cooled down by rubbing him with cool water from my ice chest. I paid strict attention to the advice of when to drive home and waited until Monday. That's the day recommended for where I live. Glad I waited because my drive home only took me nearly 4 hours (the normal driving time for the trip). It's good to be back home!!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Barb~ I am glad that you stayed safe. I can't imagine what a terrible 12 hours it must have been for you. In Aug. 1998, we were in a rental cottage in Kitty Hawk, NC and had a mandatory evacuation for Hurricane Bonnie. It took us 4 hours to drive an usual 1 hour and 15 minutes. I thought that was bad!!

Gramma said...

My son and his family live in Houston. They had planned to evacuate, but were late putting it together, and they saw what the freeways were like...so they decided to ride it out. They stayed safe. And I'm glad for you, too, that you and your baby were safe. Did the motel also cut a deal on the cost because of the evacuation?

Janice said...

Barb-I am so very sorry to hear of this terrible ordeal for you. I'm glad you both made it safely.